How do I change the name on a Social Security card?

To change your name on your Social Security card:

Step 1: Gather documents proving your:

  • Legal name change;
    • Marriage document;
    • Divorce decree;
    • Certificate of Naturalization showing a new name; or
    • Court-ordered name change.
  • Identity; and
  • U.S. citizenship (if you have not established your citizenship with us) or immigration status (including Department of Homeland Security permission to work in the United States.

Step 2: Complete an Application for a Social Security card.

Step 3: Take or mail your completed application and documents to your local Social Security office.

All documents must be either originals or copies certified by the issuing agency. SS administration cannot accept photocopies or notarized copies of documents. Any documents you mail to us will be returned to you along with a receipt.

Important Information

SS administration will mail your card as soon as SS administration have verified your documents. You should receive your card within 10 business days from the date on your receipt. The new card will have the same number as your previous card, but will show your new name.